git workflow draft

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Aug 31 11:00:56 UTC 2011

On Friday, August 26, 2011 12:06:26 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> >> Was this decided upon at some point?  I got conflicting stories from
> >> sysadmin and other developers.  Yesterday after migrating
> >> kdeaccessibility to git I was asked by a sysadmin to rename the X.Y
> >> branches to KDE/X.Y  I think concensus and consistency are important
> >> here.  Was there a decision that the official branches should be named
> >> X.Y?
> >
> > My vote goes to "KDE/X.Y", it is clearer what it means.
>
> When the frameworks get split out into multiple repos, will they still use
> branch names KDE/5.0? What will that mean? Or will we come up with another
> scheme then?

I think they should, here's my reasoning:

The KDE part of the branch name means it's our "official" branch, i.e. it's
done by KDE (not by individuals acting on their own), so basically our
official namespace. We use $name/feature elsewhere, and I think KDE/5.37 would
blend in nicely here. On top of that, it gives some continuity.

sebas