Heads-up: kdeutils is moving to git

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Aug 21 13:43:44 UTC 2011

On Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:11:08 Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> Sorry, I'm still trying to understand the goal here: are you thinking of
> some sort of shell script that creates a kdeutils directory, clones all the
> git repositories and creates a top-level CMakeLists.txt?

it doesn't need to be a shell script (see the superbuild repo, for instance),
but yes, that is the functionality i'm looking for since its the functionality
that will create the least disruption in our community.

it's also a way to ensure that people can passively follow a genre of
applications in KDE such as utils: when a new util pops up, it can be added to
the build by the developers and with the next build, you will "magically" have
it added to your set of compiled apps. this is an effect we used to benefit
from with the combined big modules and one we have lost (hopefully
temporarily) due to the git repo splittings.

the last wave of git migrations, done as they were, had a measurably negative
impact on contribution that took months for us to recover from. the goal is to
avoid repeating that by preserving workflows and keeping the bar as low as
possible to keeping up with what is happening in the various topical
communities in kde (such as utilities).

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se