Heads-up: kdeutils is moving to git

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 04:13:26 UTC 2011

On 8/21/11, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Sunday, August 21, 2011 00:10:07 Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> Superbuild is unrelated and orthogonal to the code in kdeutils to
>> allow building as a single module.
>
> yes, and that's the challenge here: it takes ~10 seconds to put a bunch of
> "add_subdirectory" calls into a CMakeLists.txt file. the issue is having to
> manually keep up a bunch of git repositories individually, from cloning to
> pulling, ensuring they are in the correct hierarchy initially on disk, etc.

Correct, because that's not the problem it's supposed to solve. The
CMakeLists.txt with add_subdirectory lines is just if someone wants to
make a tarball that works just like the old kdeutils.tar before the
split, ie. "recreate the 'whole module' build". For *that* task, I
think superbuild is the wrong tool. For example, if Dirk makes a
monolithic kdeutils tarball, he should use this instead of superbuild.

I see superbuild as a third tool in the same category as kdesrc-build
and build-tool, cloning and pulling a bunch of git repositories,
ensuring they are in the correct hierarchy on disk, etc. And it's
probably a good task for that job.

But this is the release-team list, so here I'm talking about the
release, not the developers' workflow. Jeremy said, "If Dirk is going
to use superbuild to do the release tarballs..."; *that* is what I
think is a bad idea.

--
Nicolas