Keeping binary compatibility

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Oct 1 22:27:55 CEST 2010

On 01.10.10 15:32:41, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> - WTH does e.g. ksysguard install libraries .so and .h files for something
> that looks a lot like its internal libraries?

In case this is about libprocess/libprocessui they are not internal.
They're useful for apps that want to present a widget with a list of
processes in a nice way. KDevelop uses that to select a process to
attach gdb to it. They were supposed to move to kdelibs at some point,
but that didn't happen yet unfortunately.

Having said that, I generally agree that there's too little information
and awareness (among developers) about BC. In particular there's no
place that clearly says for each module which libs should keep BC and
which don't. Its apparently also pretty unknown to developers that when
BC is broken the soname needs to be changed. So part of the problem is
more of informational than a technical one (maybe even social) to make
developers aware of their responsibility when installing shared libs.

Andreas

--
A long-forgotten loved one will appear soon.

Buy the negatives at any price.