[Kde-pim] Re: kdepimlibs and kdateedit
ervin at kde.org
Tue Nov 30 09:02:24 CET 2010
On Saturday 27 November 2010 20:54:05 Tom Albers wrote:
> ----- Original Message -----
> > A Dissabte, 27 de novembre de 2010, Kevin Ottens va escriure:
> > > On Thursday 4 November 2010 10:08:45 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > > > On Thursday 4 November 2010 09:52:41 John Layt wrote:
> > > > > I'd like to see all the date/time widgets in KDE reviewed and
> > > > > amalgamated as much as possible in kdelibs, or at least made
> > > > > consistent in behaviour and appearance. I just didn't have the
> > > > > time
> > > > > in 4.6. Unless you really want to move them to kdepimlibs for
> > > > > 4.6,
> > > > > I'd be happy to make it one of my priority items for 4.7.
> > > >
> > > > I think I've the most refined copy in zanshin. I was planning to
> > > > push it
> > > > in kdelibs for 4.6 but couldn't find the time. Actually I was also
> > > > waiting for some feedback of the Skrooge guys who have yet another
> > > > copy,
> > > > but I didn't hear from them... I should poke the relevant person
> > > > again I
> > > > think. :-)
> > >
> > > OK, turns out I could sit with Stephane Mankowski today during the
> > > KDE
> > > Hacking Session in Toulouse and we made KDateEdit ready for
> > > inclusion in
> > > kdelibs. Timing wise it's rather unfortunate since we're after the
> > > freeze.
> > > For sure we can land this improved version in kdelibs 4.7, but if
> > > the
> > > release team agrees to an exception I could take the time to make it
> > > into
> > > 4.6.
> > >
> > > @Release team: Go, No-Go?
> > That's what Allen told me on a patch i wanted to add
> > ****************
> > The Hard API Freeze doesn't occur until 20 December.
> > So you really don't need an exemption -- all you really need is the
> > approval
> > of the core devs for this one, which you have it seems.
> > However, we are in Soft API Freeze so you should CC the kde-bindings
> > folks on
> > your commit.
> > ****************
> > So i guess you need to seek approval of k-c-d and that would be it?
> My intention with api freeze was to allow polishing of existing api. New
> classes in kdelibs are new features imho. I don't see an urgent reason for
> an exception tbh.
Well, having this duplicated code everywhere for even more months (look at
lxr.kde.org to see what I mean) is enough to make me want this bugger ASAP.
> Beta1 is already released.
Agreed, unfortunate timing, but I had to make sure I could recollect from the
different forks (and I probably missed some).
My concern is that if we give it six more months we'll be at the same point
for 4.7 (since PIM and Extragear tend to use only released kdelibs). I'm
definitely not interested in doing this work again, it's already been painful
enough (I've been cooking that up for weeks/months now with several stops in
between when I needed feedback and test from users of the various forks).
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net
KDAB - proud patron of KDE, http://www.kdab.com
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 198 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
Url : http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/attachments/20101130/2a6b5ca2/attachment.sig
More information about the release-team