KDEPIM Needs More TIme

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Sat May 15 13:26:00 CEST 2010

On Friday 14 May 2010 14:49:34 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Friday 14 May 2010 8:42:21 am Allen Winter wrote:
> > Howdy All,
> >
> > I regret to inform everyone that kdepim will not be ready for a 4.5 Beta1
> > that is scheduled to happen in a few days.
> >
> > We estimate an extra month will be needed.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the massive porting effort to Akonadi (an even bigger job
> > than the Qt3/KDE3 -> Qt4/KDE4 port) is taking longer than we
> > anticipated.
>
> Forgot to mention that Thomas'  blog has a lot more details.
> http://thomasmcguire.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/akonadi-meeting-and-the-kde-s
> c-4-5-release

I recommend releasing 4.5 without kdepim as was done with 4.0 and doing an
interim kdepim release cycle (call it akonadi tech preview) before 4.6. This
gives us a way to soft-launch the major Akonadi ports without the full
expectations coupled to being in the SC, and gives us some nice things to talk
about between 4.5 and 4.6.

Whatever we do, we're not hurting our downstreams, since 4.5 falls between the
major distros' release cycles anyway.  There will be a bit more packaging work
during the 4.5 cycle to maintain repos containing SC 4.5 + kdepim 4.4 and SC
4.5 + kdepim ATP, but as a packager I'm ok with that.

Will