KDE SC 4.5 schedule

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Sat Mar 27 23:29:23 CET 2010

Hello,

Tom Albers wrote:
> Op Friday 26 March 2010 21:34 schreef u:
>> Toma has noted that he won't be available to draft the 4.5 schedule. This is
>> something that needs to get done. Here's a draft based on the 4.3 schedule to
>> get us started with:
>
> Thanks for that excellent work. I've changed the schedule a bit to reflect the
 > following:

Thanks Toma. I like the changes you've made to the different freezes.
The later phases leading up to 4.4 didn't go very smoothly, and I think
we can do a lot better this time. There is a lot of frustration to be saved.

> This cycle we saw that a beta1 and hard feature freeze at the same date was
 > not optimal. People committing features last minute made packaging
beta 1 a
 > nightmare. I've now set the hard feature freeze 1 week before tagging.

I strongly want to see an API freeze kick in at this time too. No more
changes to APIs or header files (except docs) after this date, including
older APIs and newly introduced libraries/APIs. I, and I think the other
bindings people really need to have solid (not shifting!) ground to work
on at this time in the schedule. Even minor changes which are often easy
enough to fix, cause problems by breaking builds requiring new tarballs
or packages to be made etc etc.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/