[UPDATE] Re: KDEPIM 4.5 Planning

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Wed Jul 7 00:29:20 CEST 2010

On Monday 28 June 2010 7:33:29 pm Allen Winter wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> As you are probably aware, kdepim will be withheld from the upcoming KDE SC 4.5 Release.
>
> You should be able to use kdepim 4.4 along with the kdepim 4.4 translations with
> the rest of KDE SC 4.5; ie. kdepim 4.4 should compile and work with the libraries
> from kdelibs 4.5 and kdepimlibs 4.5.
>
> We hope to make a production-ready kdepim 4.5 available concurrently with
> KDE SC 4.5.1 or KDE SC 4.5.2, depending on how well our beta testing goes.
>
> A first beta for kdepim 4.5 will be tagged and a tarball created (and put on the FTP servers)
> within the next couple days.  With the second beta due  2 weeks thereafter.
>
> The schedule is (perhaps overly optimistic):
> 30 Jun:  kdepim 4.5 beta1
> 15 Jul:  kdepim 4.5 beta2
> 29 Jul:  kdepim 4.5 rc1
> 12 Aug: kdepim 4.5 rc2
> 26 Aug: kdepim 4.5 final  (I believe KDE SC 4.5.1 will also be tagged this day)

OK, it turns out I was being super-overly-optimistic.

We now know that kdepim4.5beta1 is more alpha quality.
Especially, the data migration has a long way to go.

We recommend most people to stay away from it.

So I'm delaying beta2 for an extra couple weeks (until 4 Aug approx).

Then we shall see how things look.  If great improvement doesn't happen
in the next month, then we may have to delay until KDE SC 4.6.

I am truly sorry for any extra work or pain this may have caused.

Regards,
Allen

> Translators: messages and docs are frozen in kdepim 4.5 so no new strings should
> be appearing in the kdepim 4.5 branch.
>
> KDEPIM Developers: Thomas will re-branch a 4.5 from trunk tomorrow morning.
> Please do all your bug fixing for the 4.5 release in the 4.5 branch -- no new strings
> without translator approval.
>
> I think that covers everything.  Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
>
> -Allen

Allen Winter | allen at kdab.net | Software Engineer
KDAB (USA), LLC, a KDAB Group company
Tel. USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322), Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090