Observations and personal conclusions on the KDE release process since 4.0

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jul 1 03:47:31 CEST 2010

On June 30, 2010, Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
> Branching off relatively late (maybe even after minor release, not tagging,
> just in any case) would also (hopefully) mean a little shift towards
> "maintenance" from "new features" seemingly forcing developers to focus on

speaking as an app developer: we just spent the last 7 weeks doing this.
there's no need to force anything here.

thanks to the branching, i was able to commit 2 bug fixes that required string
changes. others can start merging their feature branches which were happening
anyways (no amount of time in extra freeze would change that). and we're still
seeing numerous commits to the 4.5 branch.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se