[Kde-bindings] KDE 4.4 RC1 (4.3.90) tarballs uploaded

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Thu Jan 21 12:22:43 CET 2010

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 07:17:08 pm Simon Edwards wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Dirk Mueller wrote:
> >>
> >> It should work fine with a recent SIP and PyQt snapshot.
> >>
> >> A new stable release of PyQt is imminent, then can I up the version
> >> check in CMakeLists.txt. Sorry for the inconvenience guys.
> >
> > Is it possible to make the bindings only use released versions of
> > sip/pyqt?
>
> A new SIP and PyQt stable are out and PyKDE now requires it and checks
> for it in CMakeLists. Although annoying, not using SIP/PyQt snapshots
> during the 4.4 dev cycle would have required dropping most of the new
> changes to Plasma which depend on new functionality in Qt 4.6. This is
> really one of the risks of KDE requiring a bleeding edge Qt
> functionality (4.6) which wasn't released until quite late in the KDE
> dev cycle. Other things like PyQt depend on Qt and don't get much time
> to react and be updated once a new Qt version is out.
>
> > with RC2, there is a new problem:
> >
> > /usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report
> > kdebindings-1077263/build/CMakeFiles
> >
> > What is the solution here?
>
> You'll have to ask Richard Dale since this error is in smoke and not PyKDE.
>
> A strict ban on header file changes during the RC phase would be a good
> way to help reduce these kinds of last minute problems. Even in these
> late stages the plasma team are still stuffing around with their (new)
>  APIs.
I don't think we need a strict ban. I think the problem is that the kde
bindings release schedule is unavoidably slightly behind the KDE libraries
release schedule. However, the overall KDE release schedule doesn't take this
into account.

Certainly we didn't need the KDE 4.4 release to be branched off from the trunk
a month before the actual release, while we are right in the middle of trying
to sort out kdebindings.

-- Richard