[Nepomuk] kde-4.4, virtuoso-6.1.0, and virtuosoconverter

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Feb 4 17:42:32 CET 2010

On Thursday 04 February 2010 16:16:34 Tom Albers wrote:
> Op Thursday 4 February 2010 16:02 schreef u:

> > > No, they did not. I always said that Virtuoso 6 would be the dependency
> > > for KDE 4.4.
>
> You can not add a new dependency for KDE 4.4 the day before the release
> without testing. I consider it a new feature which is not allowed since
> ages. for KDE 4.5 I've planned to add it to the release schedule
> explicitly to make it even more clear. It is too late in the cycle for 4.4
> to change this dependency. Really. Some packagers can not add a new
> dependency to their repository in one day and have prepared the KDE 4.4
> packaging based on the 4.4 release candidates we have given them. Please
> don't do this.
>
> > Fact is that we're in a bad situation of now requiring something that's
> > been untested and it's data is incompatible with what was tested.
>
> +1
> Unacceptable imho.

What will happen is that distros will ship Virtuoso 6 anyway, because they don't want
to introduce V5, and then have to convert users' data again (first time from the
sesame2) backend. I don't know in how far V6 is different from V5, other than the
dataformat, but we might consider recommending V6 anyway, because it has a clearer
road forward.

It's a bit unfortunate that there was a bug in V6.0 that prevented us from testing
with it, that seems fixed in 6.1?

I'd also be interested in more (dis)advantages of V6 over V5, and how different V5
and 6 actually are from a "what can break KDE?"-point of view. Sebastian, can you
give more details?

> > > Anyway, the converter is hacky tool allowing early adopters of KDE 4.4
> > > who already tries Nepomuk with Virtuoso 5 (and thus, compile
> > > themselves!) to easily convert their data.
>
> Distro's who have provided RC's to their users are now more or less obliged
> to run that script. Virtuoso was made a hard dependency (at least for
> anyone compiling kdepim) so all svn users also need to update.

Bottom line is that distros will probably shop Virtuoso 6 to their end-users anyway,
so we need to make sure it works well with it. I don't think it's as easy as saying
"it's too late to require V6", because it's not. Note that I don't like the
situation, but to me it's more complex ...

There's also the question what we require. As far as I know, KDE 4.4.0 works with
virtuoso 5 and 6, so what would be natural is requiring at least V5, recommending V6
(for the upgrade path, BUT we haven't tested it yet).
--
sebas