migrating KDE's main modules to git

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Aug 24 15:29:01 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 24 August 2010 14:13:10 Tom Albers wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:06:02 -0700, "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo at kde.org>
> > * Is the November 17th date a hard date requirement, or can we start
> > moving main modules into git.kde.org earlier if we are ready to do so? Why
> > why not?
>
> Without talking to the rest of the KDE sysadmin, I think we can facilitate
> a move for the main modules on an earlier date. We can somewhat compact and
> mix everything listed starting from september 29, but we do want to have
> some room to do some testing with some smaller projects before we move main
> modules, as the impact for that is many times bigger.
>
> If there is a plan for the main modules to move say after October 15 or
> so, I'm pretty sure we can facilitate that. We just want to know in time.

From a release management point of view, I think moving before feature freeze
or right thereafter to Git would make most sense. This has the following
important advantages:

- release branch settles down, less forward/backporting traffic
- we have a bunch of test releases to test releasing out of Git instead of
  SVN,
- the migration is the least likely to delay a major release

If we can move the main modules by mid-November, I think that would be really
nice. We'll likely end up with doing a "hybrid release" then (i.e. not
*everything* has moved by that point (lack of migration rules), if I
understand the migration process well enough.
--
sebas