BIC in libkonq

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Aug 9 11:47:22 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 03 August 2010, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Monday 02 August 2010, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> > > Good point. we should
>
> bump it to version 6?
>
> > Yes, one of the main SONAME purposes is to manage
>
> BIC changes.
>
> > Unfortunately, libraries outside kde(pim)libs break BC all
>
> the time but
>
> > rarely ever bump SOVERSIONs (for example, kdebase-workspace
>
> libraries).
>
> > Hopefully, such a bump in libkonq would set a good example for
>
> the future.
>
> Well, most libraries outside the kde*libs space are only used
> within their module, thats why BC is lesser of a concern here.
>
> libkonq is
> an edge case, it is used in quite some other modules, on the other side,
> due to the anything that depends on *workspace* must require the exact
> version anyway, making an exception for libkonq doesn't make that much
> sense to me.

I apologize for the BIC in libkonq. The reason why I didn't increase the
soversion is simple: I didn't think about it.

Note, however, that KNewMenu is no longer used in any of the kde svn code.
From Modestas' `apt-cache rdepends libkonq5` list, I see only kmess which
could be affected by this. OK, and of course an update of libkonq without
updating older kdebase stuff like konqueror...

I'm perfectly fine with increasing the SOVERSION now. 5a or 6? I wasn't aware
that one could use letters in the SOVERSION :)