Possible problems with Intel drivers in 4.5.0 release

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Tue Aug 3 13:02:27 CEST 2010

On Monday 02 August 2010 20:59:24 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Hi Release-Team,
>

> I know that the release is scheduled for tomorrow, nevertheless I want
> make you aware of a possible problem with Intel graphics cards and

compositing.

> I think I first have to explain a little bit: KWin uses a
test to determine
> if OpenGL compositing is working during the startup.
This seems to fail
> for some Intel drivers since some time. It used to work
and the code has
> not changed, so it is most likely a driver bug. I was
first made aware of
> this problem at Akademy. Due to the fact that I do not
own Intel hardware
> I was unable to reproduce or try to fix the
issue.

<snip details>

> The best solution would be to fix the failing self
check. But due to
> missing hardware I am not able to investigate it.

Do
you know what intel hardware and intel driver combination the test fails on?
 On my openSUSE 11.3 machine with intel driver 2.12.0 and 945GM chipset,
openGL rendering is definitely working - when I switch to XRender I notice
that Blur stops working on widget backgrounds.

Will