Qt 4.6 && KDE 4.4.0
toma at kde.org
Wed Sep 23 21:41:50 CEST 2009
Dear release team,
It is time to take a decision about Qt 4.6 && KDE 4.4.0. I'ld like to announce the following to kcd and kd next saturday.
** Qt 4.6 dependency in trunk **
The release team has decided that KDE 4.4.0 will depend on Qt 4.6. To give developers the time to work with Qt 4.6, we have decided that from Saturday October 10th* trunk will start depending on Qt 4.6. Everyone need to update the coming two weeks to that version of Qt. Thiago recommends to use the following git repository:
if you want to help Qt development and fix the issues found before the 4.6.0 release, the unpatched branch is recommended:
qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt branch 4.6-stable
if you want to do KDE development, the 4.6-stable-patched would be recommended, This contains the kde patches and will trail behind 4.6-stable, so you may need to merge 4.6-stable yourself if you need the latest fixes:
qt.gitorious.org/qt/kde-qt branch 4.6-stable-patched
**Release Schedule Change**
The expected release dates of Qt's RC and the final release currently clash with KDE's release schedule. Therefore we have decided to shift the KDE release by two weeks.
This will give us approx. 2 weeks between Qt's RC and KDE's beta 1 and 2 weeks between the expected Qt final release and the start of our release candidate cycle. Of course we are not sure that Qt will release at those times, but with the former schedule it was to close to eachother. Qt will let the release team know if the schedule changes and we'll decide what to do at that moment.
The complete release schedule for KDE 4.4.0 now looks like this:
* 1.0 October 10th, 2009: Trunk depends on Qt 4.6
* 1.1 November 4th, 2009: Soft Feature Freeze
* 1.2 November 25th, 2009: Hard Feature Freeze
* 1.3 November 25th, 2009: Message Freeze.
* 1.4 November 25th, 2009: Tag KDE 4.4 Beta 1
* 1.5 December 1st, 2009: Release KDE 4.4 Beta 1
* 1.6 December 1st, 2009: Documentation/Handbook Freeze
* 1.7 December 16nd, 2009: Tag KDE 4.4 Beta 2
* 1.8 December 22th, 2009: Release KDE 4.4 Beta 2
* 1.9 Januari 5th, 2010: Artwork and Bindings Freeze
* 1.10 January 5th, 2010: Tag KDE 4.4 RC 1
* 1.11 January 6th, 2010: Release KDE 4.4 RC 1
* 1.12 January 19th, 2010: Tag KDE 4.4 RC 2
* 1.13 January 20th, 2010: Release KDE 4.4 RC 2
* 1.14 February 3rd, 2010: Tag KDE 4.4
* 1.15 February 9th, 2010: Release KDE 4.4
* Oct 10, that's also the first day of the Munich dev sprint
Let me know if you object to this text or have improvements.
More information about the release-team