KDE3 maintenance

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Tue Nov 24 17:25:03 CET 2009

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 1:48:01 pm Timothy Pearson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been maintaining and improving KDE3 for Ubuntu for a while now, and
> have accumulated a massive set of patches that:
>  * Add lots of functionality
>  * Fix old bugs
>  * Allow compilation on new systems
>
> How would I go about including them into the KDE3 SVN/GIT, and then
> generating a new 3.5.11 release?

Dear Release Teamers,

I think we should put out a formal policy statement on 3.5.

Here are some thoughts:

 + 3.5 is done and finished. there will be no more 3.5 releases

 + we will not allow commits into the 3.5 branch willy-nilly without the
normal process of maintainer and/or peer review

 +  we could create a 3.5 group on reviewboard for 3.5 patches to be collected.
If the patch creator wants their patch into 3.5 SVN, then they need to work
through normal maintainer/peer review channels to get the patch accepted
and committed.

 + the kde-packagers mailing list will be notified if critical/security fixes for 3.5 become available.

 + perhaps we should tell kde-packagers about normal bugfixes and new features too??

 + I have no idea what we should do about new i18n strings or updated docs that need translations.

Aside: as part of our KDAB jobs, tmcguire and I create bugfixes and features for the kdepim 3.5 stuff
in the separate kdepim/enterprise branches.  We translate only into German, though.  We forward port
into trunk as permitted by the release schedule.