Moving LibAttica to kdesupport

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Nov 17 21:12:46 CET 2009

On Tuesday 17 November 2009, Téo Mrnjavac wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 20:18, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi Frederik,
> >
> > Next question: is this module actually necessary at all ?
> > Who are the users of it ?
> >
> > Alex
>
> Hello
> We already use LibAttica in Amarok, currently it's just crudely copied
> inside our codebase until it lands in kdesupport, we look forward to
> this so we can have a clean solution.
> Also I plan to port Amarok's social about dialog to kdelibs for 4.5
> and I would need LibAttica for that.

So currently it is used in amarok (which is not in trunk/KDE/) and in the
future it will be used in kdelibs.

Are these the only users of libattica right now ?
(btw. how abpout renaming FindAttica.cmake to FindLibAttica.cmake ?)

If so, I think kdelibs should not have and install FindAttica.cmake. I mean,
installing a cmake module is like installing a public header. And kdelibs is
not the place to put things which are required by software somewhere else,
i.e. outside trunk/KDE/.
For moving code/libraries to kdelibs there is the rule that there must be at
least two users of that library in trunk/KDE/, I think this should apply also
to cmake modules.

If you install a (Lib)AtticaConfig.cmake alongside with libattica,
find_package() will even find it automatically without requiring a
Find(Lib)Attica.cmake, for details see the config-mode of find_package() in
the cmake documentation.

Alex