Moving LibAttica to kdesupport

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Nov 17 20:18:12 CET 2009

Hi Frederik,

On Tuesday 17 November 2009, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to move libattica to kdesupport (it has spent its two weeks
> in review now), so that it can be released with KDE 4.4.
> This will allow great improvements in the Get Hot New Stuff, things
> like the new "Social About Dialog" that Amarok has and big
> improvements in the OpenDesktop/Social plasma applets.
>
> It would be great if the release team could take care of the tagging
> and tarballing.
>
> Anything else that needs to be done from my side? Right now there are

I just noticed that you added a cmake module FindAttica.cmake to
kdelibs/cmake/modules/, which is also installed.

When working with the cmake modules in kdelibs, the commit policy should be
followed: http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/CMake_Commit_Policy
(first rule there says "new files must be sent to kde-buildsystem at kde.org for
review. They may only be added after an explicit Ok.")

You did not do that and from you emails about moving it to kdereview it also
was not obvious that it involves the cmake modules for kdelibs.

Why is that important...
Adding a module to kdelibs which is also installed means you add a part of the
public API which must be kept compatible for all of KDE 4.
So installing such a file comes with a cost.

I had a look at the file as it is now, and it is not good.

It does not work at all on Windows, it used pkg-config in a bad and documented
as such) way. It cannot stay as it is now.
Please have a look e.g. at FindLibXml2.cmake for a proper example how to use
pkg-config in a cmake module.

Next question: is this module actually necessary at all ?
Who are the users of it ?

Alex