oxygen icons moved

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Sat Mar 28 01:27:58 CET 2009

A Friday 27 March 2009 23:49:32, Sebastian Kügler escreveu:
> On Friday 27 March 2009 10:05:11 Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm willing to do the packaging myself, but I need the information
> > > where to find the oxygen icons for KDE 4.2.2. You're not really telling
> > > me that I should use the trunk version of oxygen icons, right?
> > >
> > > What is the version number of the oxygen icons? where can I find the
> > > version that matches KDE 4.2 branch?
> >
> > Ok, I didn't talk with Casper or Nuno here, so take my word with a grain
> > of salt here, but... why not?
> > It's icons, we shouldn't have any regressions, and we have decided to
> > split the release exactly to provide the most fresh icons possible.
> > But then, I'm not sure if we want to break packaging scripts in a minor
> > release.
>
> I think removing the icons from branch and shipping them from kdesupport is
> a bad idea. With this kind of structural changes to a stable branch, we're
> making it harder for packagers to ship our updates and bugfixes, they're
> now either stuck with putting the icons back into the old location and ship
> this, or offer the icons as separate package, which creates more work for
> these poor people.
>
> Shipping Oxygen separately might be interesting for third party
> applications to use the icons, the names are standardized and they don't
> depend on neither KDE nor Qt (in fact they depend on being rendered with
> Inkscape ;)).
>
> We need to consider that Oxygen is part of a stable platform. Even if we
> fix the apps that we ship together with Oxygen, that still means that we
> might screw some third party apps that suddenly loose icons in a x.y.z
> bugfix and translation update.
> It's fine to update the Oxygen icons also in a stable cycle, the large
> majority of the updates to Oxygen is probably a 100% safe to backport.
>
> For trunk, we can make these changes, but we need to consider the above
> points just as well. Backwards compatibility is just as important across
> major cycles (4.2 -> 4.3) releases.
>
> I don't really see why putting Oxygen into kdesupport would mean that users
> get updates more often. I think it'll work the other way, branch is shipped
> every month, that means improvements to Oxygen can be shipped to the user
> usually in less than four weeks. By putting in them kdesupport (which is
> less visible and might not be updated by packagers along with a x.y.z
> release) the likely effect is that Oxygen is overall updated *less* often.

Well my issue is another as nothing to do with the issues so far.

its about control, we are creating a new kde3.x mess couse aplications are
creating their hown versions of the same icons, and not teling any one they do
so, couse well they dont have 2.
second i have alrady done a couple of duplicated icons with slightly difrent
names couse well i forgot i did icon a for app B and icon c for app D and a=c
just that they dont.
i have no idea of how many icons we have done so far no idea of what apps are
using couse its out of the oxygen directory its scatered all around kde svn.

this is a solution to that issue, no one came up with a beter one..

--
Oxygen coordinator