Qt MathML Widget

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Mar 20 16:13:06 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 3:37 PM, John Tapsell <johnflux at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/3/20 Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org>:
> >

> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 3:27 PM, John Tapsell <johnflux at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> there.

> >> I think we almost certainly want to do this, and encourage people to
> >> expand on it.

> but
> be

> > Wouldn't it be a better idea to keep the work on KFormula? we don't want
> 2
> > KDE codes doing the same thing!
>
> It might be worth dropping the KDE4 KFormula.
> I would suggest either:
>
> *) Go with QtMMlWidget.  It works.  It's read only, but it's still
> useful and if we can pry open the API a bit we could get it working in
> KOffice.  Adding editing can be then done on top, building on an
> already supported base.
>
> *) Redo the port of KDE 3's KFormula, removing the fairly minimal
> KOffice specific code.
>
> I estimate the second option to be a solid two week's work for an
> experienced KDE developer.
>
> I think the first option is the more stable option and is ready now,
> even if it's not up to the feature level of KDE 3's KFormula.
>
> John

After some chat between John and me, we decided that, since KFormula might
want to use this QtMMLWidget code at some point but we want that KDE
applications start to take advantage of MathML as soon as possible.
Our idea has been to put it to kdesupport until KFormula has forked it (and
it is working) so that we can deprecate the QtSolution's in kdesupport. Then
KFormula's widget would go to kdelibs.

Is that ok?

Thanks,
Aleix