RFC: New Module kdesdklibs?

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Fri Jul 24 15:21:41 CEST 2009

On Thursday 23 July 2009 7:22:42 pm Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we've got a small problem between kdevelop and kapptemplate (from kdesdk).
> Both have a wizard to create a new code-project from some form of template.
> Both apps use the same template format, so they can basically share the
> templates. They don't yet use the same code for the wizard (but very
> similar copies) as there's no base-library yet for both to depend on. Now
> especially the common-template format puts us into a problem, KDevelop only
> provides KDE4 application templates if kdesdk is installed. If kdesdk is
> missing there will only be templates for basic CMake projects.
>
> Its obviously not possible to have the templates in both modules as they're
> installed into the same place and hence conflict with each other.
>
> Due to that and the possible code-sharing I'm thinking about having a new
> module kdesdklibs which provides a library for building the application
> wizard as well as the templates themselves. Another item that could be
> moved into this module is the interface class from kompare to allow easier
> access to the komparepart (currently requires a build-time dependency on
> kdesdk) - I've just suggested that to Kevin Kofler the kompare
> maintainer to see what he thinks about that.
>
> I've also thought about just having a new lib+data inside kdelibs, but that
> module is already big enough IMHO and shouldn't be made bigger for just two
> apps with rather specific use-cases.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Oh and of course I volunteer to act as module coordinator for that module
> and it'll directly follow the KDE release cycle :)

I have no objection to creating kdefoolibs modules.
But the code included in these modules needs to be treated as if they
were included with kdelibs.  i.e. licensing, BC rules, dpointers, etc, etc.

IOW: think of kdesdklibs as kdelibs/sdk.

I'm CC'ing the release team on this for further discussion.

-Allen