pre-releases of rc1

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jul 9 20:51:53 CEST 2009

On Monday 06 July 2009 11:46:56 Than Ngo wrote:
> Am Samstag 04 Juli 2009 18:38:56 schrieb Dirk Mueller:
> > On Wednesday 01 July 2009, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > we could consider shortening the period between tagging and release
> > > (which currently effectively is 8 days). Maybe make it 4? That would
> > > mean we tag on Friday, and release on Tuesday, with possible slippage
> > > into wednesday. Especially for -rc or -beta releases, that would mean
> > > "fresher" bugreports.
> > >
> > > I might be missing a good reason to keep that period longer, in that
> > > case, speak up.
> >
> > I agree that the 8 days delay is usually too long these days, and I also
> > would like to shorten it.
> >
> > However, I'm unsure if we should let the packagers work over the weekend.
> > it could also be within a week. Personally I don't care either way, but
> > there are two possible solutions:
> >
> > b) provide tarballs Monday morning and release on Thursday evening.
>
> i prefer option b

I prefer a) for PR reasons:

We choose Tuesdays because that's got the highest chance to be picked up by
journalists (no weekend backlog like on Mondays), we can slip one, even two
days. Fridays are usually shorter and people often want to get their work
finished before the weekend, meaning we're less likely to be picked up. Add a
bit of timezone magic to that, and Tuesday becomes the ideal day.
It also makes it easier to prep release notes, since those are usually written
by volunteers (Jos P, me).

What are your reasons for Thursdays?
--
sebas