pre-releases of rc1

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Sat Jul 4 18:38:56 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 01 July 2009, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> we could consider shortening the period between tagging and release (which
> currently effectively is 8 days). Maybe make it 4? That would mean we tag
> on Friday, and release on Tuesday, with possible slippage into wednesday.
> Especially for -rc or -beta releases, that would mean "fresher" bugreports.
>
> I might be missing a good reason to keep that period longer, in that case,
> speak up.

I agree that the 8 days delay is usually too long these days, and I also would
like to shorten it.

However, I'm unsure if we should let the packagers work over the weekend. it
could also be within a week. Personally I don't care either way, but there are
two possible solutions:

a) provide tarballs until Thursday evening (Friday morning latest) and release
on Tuesday

b) provide tarballs Monday morning and release on Thursday evening.

Comments? Packagers, which variant do you prefer?

Greetings,
Dirk