4.3.5?

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Sun Dec 27 12:45:11 CET 2009

On Thursday 24 December 2009, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 24 December 2009, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 December 2009 00:20:44 Allen Winter wrote:
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > I think we should have a 4.3.5 release, and this should
> > > be the final release in the 4.3 series.
> > >
> > > thoughts?
> > > of course, this depends on Dirk and the promo team's holiday
> > > schedule.
> > >
> > > We should make a decision either way very soon so folks don't
> > > waste their time backporting to the 4.3 branch.
> > >
> > > -Allen
> >
> > I am not sure people backported commits as all I personnally heard was
> > that 4.3 was stopped.
>
> Correct.
>
> > Did devels effectively backport to make it worth a new release?
>
> No, but of course it could be done the other way round: announce 4.3.5,
>  then we'll backport. Although I'd kind of hate spending time backporting
>  all the stuff instead of fixing more bugs for 4.4.0...

Understandable. However, bugfix releases are more likely automatically
downloaded by distributions, while major KDE releases are not. So providing
bugfix releases as long as we can affects quite a lot of people. Hence,
backport + another maintenance release is quite welcome (if there are fixed
bugs in the branch).

...of course nothing really new, but worth to mention once in a while.
That is: developers should be stressed more to backport ;)

Dominik