Minor Point Release Policy

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Dec 13 10:02:06 CET 2009

On Saturday 12 December 2009 00:56:49 Michael Pyne wrote:
> > * Fixes to bugs which are easy to verify and have a report in
> > bugs.kde.org So if I notice a problem, I have to first report it?
>
> I'm almost willing to go this route just because it will artificially
>  inflate  my bug-closing numbers. :P

If it's only about cookies, I can send you some and we spare ourselves the policy-
wonkiness :-)

> > They must not contain
> > * API changes
> > * New strings
>
> This will basically be "me too" but there have been string changes in
>  minor  releases when the string was flat-out wrong before. This is
>  coordinated with the translations teams but not impossible (and nor should
>  it be).
>
> I think I've even personally fixed a kdelibs bug that required an API
> addition. I'm not sure I'd agree with tilting the "stability" slider all
>  the  way up and forbid these types of fixes for slipstreaming KDE releases
>  to downstream packagers.

I think these situations arise from time to time, but the number of those cases will
be rather limited, not frequent enough to warrant writing a policy for every single
corner case. What we want to do with this policy is having clarity what point
releases mean, not a guaranatee that we'll never, ever make an exception.

I think as long as exceptions go through consensus on release-team, it's OK. The
policy could just add "the above cases are rubberstamped, if you've anything you'd
like to commit to the stable branch which is not granted by the policy, please
contact release-team (who will then, for example for string changes pass the ball on
to the translators for an OK, or to core-devel for API changes).
--
sebas