KDE 4.4 Beta1 Tagging ahead

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Dec 1 12:27:50 CET 2009

On Monday 30 November 2009 16:02:28 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Monday 30 November 2009 09:29:58 Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > Not ok with me.
> > > Not until we have a fix for qtbug-5588 in kde-qt and I have a little
> > > bit of time to make sure KOrganizer can work again with that fix.
> > >
> > > Ordinarily I wouldn't be such a pain about an upstream bug, but in this
> > > case I need the warm-fuzzy of seeing KOrganizer run again before
> > > calling it "beta".
> >

> > I think an upstream bug should not hold up our beta release. We can add
> >  this information to the announcement, so it's clear that korganizer
> >  doesn't work. As it's one relatively isolated issue, the patch is
> > already queued in Qt (ha!) and we clearly say "this eats kittens
> > (cittens)", I think that it's OK to move forward. Holding up the beta
> > doesn't buy us anything at this point, it will just get us less testing.
> >

> Then hold all of kdepim from the beta please

Again, why? Can't we just point packagers to the patch that would fix it?

A beta is a beta because we know it has problems, and we want to work them out.
That's why we make this "eats kittens" thing clear. I think it would be a miss to
exclude all of kdepim because of an upstream bug that's being fixed already. The goal
of this beta is to get bugs shaken out, not release bug-free software.

Of course it's your final call as module maintainer to include or exclude kdepim from
beta1, but I would just ship it with the necessary warning flags.

For me, personally (just to give an example), I don't even use korganizer. I most
likely wouldn't even notice that something's wrong.
--
sebas