KDE/kdelibs/kdecore/sonnet

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Dec 1 01:10:31 CET 2009

On Tuesday 01 December 2009, Zack Rusin wrote:
>On Tuesday 01 December 2009, David Faure wrote:
> > Yep, seems to work now.
> >
> > BUT: this code was committed at the worst possible time (*very* close to
> > beta1 tagging) and without review, breaking the freeze.
> > And obviously (from your own words) it's impossible to be sure the code
> > doesn't introduce any regressions. Can you revert it for now and commit it
> > again a month from now when trunk is open for kde-4.5?
> > I don't want to think about what will happen if we ship 4.4 with infinite
> > loops in some languages :/
>
> To be honest I'm not sure if that makes much sense. If the code breaks
> something, then well it breaks something and if you don't have enough tests
> you most likely have to wait for a beta for it to be tested by general
>  public. So yea, we can revert it and then let it sit and wait for kde-4.5
>  beta so that it's tested then or we can let it be tested with kde-4.4
>  beta. The code was broken for years, it just happened to work in enough
>  cases for english, german and other latin languges which meant that no one
>  cared enough about the other few billion people on the planet to fix it,
>  at least now breakage in this breaks all languages equally.
> Of course at the end of the day it's your call and if it will make you
>  sleep better at night then sure revert it.

What the above logic skips over, is the large period of testing between
"kde 4.5 is open for commits" (a month from now or so) and "kde-4.5-beta1".
In general, the reason for freezes like the current one, is that code
committed in the above interval will get also a lot of testing by us (kde
developers) before it gets to users. But I can see how locale-dependent code
is a bit of a special case since we won't test all languages ourselves (I
don't even use kde in french myself...), so the code has to get to end users
in order to be tested. From a practical point of view I'm ok with letting this
in then. But I can also understand if the release-team decides it should be
reverted because it didn't play by the rules and sets a bad example.