KDE 4.4 Schedule

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Aug 9 20:55:57 CEST 2009

A Diumenge, 9 d'agost de 2009, Olivier Goffart va escriure:
> Le Friday 07 August 2009, Tom Albers a écrit :
> > At Friday 07 August 2009 09:03, you wrote:
> > > Le Friday 07 August 2009, Allen Winter a �crit :

> > > Do we want to depends on Qt 4.6 or not?
> > >
> > > Few new feature of Qt Q 4.6 that might be interresting for KDE include:
> > > state machine API, animation API, graphics effects, webkit improvement
> > > in case we want the webkit part, mouse gestures, and more.
> > >
> > > There is no official date for the release of Qt 4.6, but it should be
> > > should be end of 2009 or early 2010.
> > > The alpha (technology preview) is planed in september.
> > >
> > > So Qt seems to be schedguled a little bit before KDE. But Qt can
> > > possibly be delayed if Nokia's QA think the release is not ready,  and
> > > we should not forget that if we want to include new features, trunk (or
> > > at least part of it) should start depending on Qt 4.6 earlier in the
> > > development process.  Is it OK if trunk depends on alpha or beta of Qt?
> > > (we already did in in KDE 4.1)
> >
> > Maybe it is an idea to team up with Qt and try to release on the exact
> > same day? Can give both a bunch of added publicity and would be nice to
> > try.
> >
> > To let that work we might want to be a bit flexible on the release date I
> > guess. We can do that. But we need to set a max date on which we are
> > going to release anyways, even if Qt is not ready yet. In return we need
> > to know from Nokia something like two weeks before they are going to
> > release (but then we depend on a TP of 4.6 for the 4.4.0 release, so
> > might want to do a 4.4.1 quickly after that).
> >
> > The advantage is not purely the big news splash but also an immediate
> > real-world showcase for Qt 4.6.
>
> The Qt release could as well be in november which would be way too early to
> release kde in the sme time.
> Also Nokia probably doesn't want to depends on possible KDE showstoper that
> could delay the kde release for the qt release.

The same applies for KDE, i'm sure we don't want to delay KDE release because
a showstoper delays Qt release. More when the Qt release is unscheduled, so
i'd say unless Qt 4.6 releases something in November or so we shouldn't even
think on depending on it.