Possible 4.3.0 blocker in the Konsole KPart?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Aug 4 20:46:03 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 04 August 2009, Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
> Indeed, but unfortunately it as well sheds some light on amount of bugs
> actually introduced during development, and from downstream point of view
> it makes all 4.x.0 releases to be treated like development releases.

that's fine; if that's the case then ship 4.x.[1234] releases in stable and
keep 4.x.0 in unstable or testing. packagers don't need to push every single
release into their production line.

> Partially it's because KDE developers seem to be overloaded with amount of
> work

when has that not been the case? shall we look at KDE3 releases to remind
ourselves of this? ;) there are still unresolved crashes in kicker, btw.

what makes it more difficult right now compared to latter KDE3 is that there's
a lot of _new_ code. but really, it's something of a perennial issue.

> - especially with multiple branches synchronization - which leads to
> bugfixes sometimes not hitting latest 'soon-to-be-stable' branch (4.3 now)
> or not hitting on time, as developers seem to be devoted to trunk
> (sometimes even when 4.3 in this case is not released).

svn makes this much more difficult than it should be, and as Thiago has opined
about on k-c-d a few times we probably do it the wrong way around by
backporting instead of fixing in stable and then forward porting. but again,
svn makes this impractical.

but i don't think that's what we're dealing with here, though, as Eike hints
at in his email.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se