kdesupport changes

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Sun Sep 7 11:36:47 CEST 2008

At Tuesday 02 September 2008 16:01, you wrote:
> 1. Is /trunk/kdesupport going to be no longer recommended to build KDE SVN?
> mean e.g. on the techbase page,
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Prerequisites#kdesupport

That would be the idea, yes.

> Any plan to update that page to no longer recommend to
> checkout /trunk/kdesupport?

After we reached a descision.

> 2. What is the difference between a "tag" and a "branch" ? I seem to see a
> lot
> of overlap between /tags and /branches.

Technically there is not much of a difference. But in real life, tags should be static, so no development happens in there, it just is a snapshot of a certain state. A branch is a copy where development can happen, either a stable tree of the application, or a experimental tree for new features.

> 3. So what is the "tag" that I should create for version x.y of eigen: is
> it /tags/eigen/x.y ?

yes, you should tag your software at each release. Distro's can then easily see the changes between the released version and the development version, if that is needed for some reason.

> 4. We are about to release a beta version of eigen but the 2.0 final will
> have
> to wait about 6-10 more weeks. Shall I still create a tag as soon as
> possible? /tags/eigen/2.0-beta1 ? Or wait until 2.0 to create a tag?

Tags are cheap. Tag every release you make.

> 5. After we create a tag does that mean that we can do whatever we want
> in /trunk/kdesupport/eigen2 without risking to break compilation for other
> people?

Yes.

> This is related to question 1. As long as we tell people to use
> trunk/kdesupport, making tags is rather pointless.

Yes. Time to reach a decision about this subject I think.

Toma