More KDE 4.1.x releases?

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Thu Oct 30 16:23:38 CET 2008

On Thursday 30 October 2008, Tom Albers wrote:

> > My thinking is that we'll have a 4.1.4, but not according to the regular
> > monthly schedule, but sometime later (mid december).
> What is the reason for this? We are establishing a track record with a
> release each month. I'ld like to have a good reason for deviating from it.

Doing it end of November means that it will conflict with Beta1 schedule of
KDE 4.2. It is also based on feedback that I got during the KDE 4.0.x release
cycle, when we hit 4.0.4 and 4.0.5, where the comments indicated that 4.0.5
was a too marginal improvement over 4.0.4 to justify a release.

In effect, it is a shift of release focus, and that makes sense to me. By the
time we hit Beta, we do not primarily release the stable branch anymore. 2
month or maybe even 3 month periods come to my mind. I was disregarding the 2
month schedule before because it would mean a very inconvenient time of the
year as release time for 4.1.4 (End of the year holidays).

Note that other than doing a time-based schedule for the releasing of the
stable branch we could be switching to a feature based schedule (e.g. more
than 100 bugs fixed since last released). I do not like that approach
personally.

Greetings,
Dirk