[Krusader-devel] Re: Krusader in KDE's SVN

Jonas Bähr jonas.baehr at web.de
Tue Nov 25 23:31:23 CET 2008

Hi,

Am 25.11.2008 um 19:36 schrieb shie erlich:

> hi Sebas,
> thanks for the informative mail.
>
> I, for one, feel confident that the time is right for krusader to
> move closer together with kde.

I do also think that it'll be great to move a bit closer to the KDE
Project and to benefit from KDE's infrastructure (translations, review/
bugtracking, marketing, ... perhaps even mailinglists).

I feel very comfortable with the SVN Policies on techbase. If they are
really applied by the guys with svn commit access (which would include
us after the move) I don't think we will get in trouble with strangers
doing unwanted code harakiri.

In my eyes we could move immediately *after* the 2.0.0 release. We
made a first beta for KDE-4 some time ago with a second one on the
door step. I don't want to move in the middle of a release process.

Since 2.0.0 would be our first KDE-4 release, it would be an
acceptable point to beginn with a blank history. Sebastian, you
mentioned "possibly losing history" as a disadvantage. Does this mean
there is a chance to keep our history? Under which conditions? My svn
knowledge regarding such migrations is limited, but I could only think
of a replay of our repository. This does not really make sense....

> i think it has other advantages not mentioned here (mostly from PR
> perspective), but that aside, i would like to know which module
> krusader would be getting into. ideally, i'd like to see krusader in
> a package that usually gets installed by default, which (i *think*)
> is not the situation with extragear?

I think extragear would be perfectly fine, at least for the beginning.
Some of the most popular KDE apps, like Amarok, live in extragear.
Plus, there we have the maximum of freedom. We can't claim our
independence on the one hand and ask for inclusion in a core module on
the other.

> what do you think guys?

I'm all fo a move as soon as 2.0 is out of the door. What does the
rest of the Krew think?

bye,
Jonas