Dezibel-ḰDE

Eva Brucherseifer eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de
Sun Nov 23 11:59:08 CET 2008

Am Friday 21 November 2008 21:34:19 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Friday 21 November 2008, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > We have reconsidered the case and it looks like we'd rather like to see
> > the dezibel-kde part shipped for KDE 4.3.
>
> curiosity begets the question: why? (not that i disagree, just a question
> =)

there are several reasons:

- the modules in decibel-kde are nothing a developer develops with - they are
plugins for decibel (for kde-integration) as well as a kcm module. So the
APIs are already public now with kdesupport. So Decibel is already there.

- in order to have it moved to kdereview I would have liked to test it at
least. I tried 2 full weekends and basically how even have kdelibs compiled,
but I noticed that there are still cmake stuff to fix and barriers are much
too high :-( As we are late and I don't have people to support me _now_ I
can't force it. It will be a bit easier probably in dec and even january, but
this might be too late.

- besides that there are issues with telepathy. Telepathy changes spec
versions all the time, which makes it very difficult for others to use that
technology. For released code of libtelepathy and connection managers it is
very difficult to find out which spec they implement (no API call, no doc
available). Of course KDE could alsways say, that it is the distributors
problem to get it work as long as we support one version properly, but I feel
not good about it. We think Decibel works with current telepathy, but due to
this intransparency and the amount of possible combinations we hesitate to
state that it fully works. I wonder how KDE ever can support this unstable
telepathy setup. I hope with upcoming qt bindings (working for Qt 4.5, thus
KDE 4.3) it will be a bit better. I think telepathy developers have not
understood the importance of freezed APIs. However, we could of course still
publish Decibel and push the work of making their version of telepathy work
with their version of decibel to the distributors.

- to summarize things: Decibel APIs are DBUS APIs and are stable, they have
been tested in summer. They are available from kdesupport.

Cheers,
Eva

--
Eva Brucherseifer
Managing Director

basysKom GmbH
Robert-Bosch-Str. 7 | 64293 Darmstadt | Germany
Tel: +49 6151 3969-961 | Fax: -736 | Mobile: +49 170 5533642
eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de | www.basyskom.de

Handelsregister: Darmstadt HRB 9352
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Eva Brucherseifer