kdepimlibs Licensing

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Nov 7 20:02:25 CET 2008

On Friday 07 November 2008, Allen Winter wrote:
> > So the next best idea we have so far is:
> > - put the source into kdepimlibs/gpl.
> > - make sure the doxygen main pages say GPL on them
> > - clearly state in the kdepimlibs/README and kdepimlibs/POLICIES file
> >    that there is GPL code in here

All good ideas IMHO.

> Another possibility is to create a new module called kdepimlibs-gpl
> Reading back through the archives, I know that Ingo was a strong advocate of this solution.

And I'm strongly against it.
* All our developers and users who compile from source will have to learn that they need
yet another module, just for a stupid licensing issue they don't care about.
* All documentation, release/snapshot scripts, build scripts, (and the setup of some services I think) etc.
will need to be updated for yet another toplevel module.

This is just making everyone's life more complicated for no good purpose, other than one
that can easily be solved by having proper documentation.