Move extragear/plasma to a new main module.

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Tue May 20 16:43:54 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 20 May 2008 12:07:12 pm Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Sunday 18 May 2008, Tom Albers wrote:
> > We discussed this earlier. Can we move extragear/plasma to a new kde main
> > module kdeplasmoids (or some other name) ?
>
> isn't there at least one plasmoid in there that is supposed to work? nobody
> says that we have to include all of extragear-plasma :)
>
> I still think its a good idea to have a kdeplasmoids module that is
> released together with KDE, as it avoids the constant api breakages we had
> with extragear-plasma being in sync with /trunk and not compiling with any
> branch.
>
> I was contacted lately on how to do extragear-plasma releases together with
> KDE, I think this is the way to go.
>
> > Does anyone actually object? Shall we pick a date to do the move?
>
> Identify which plasmoids we can pick up and do it (IMHO).
The situation has changed yesterday. First of all the crash on remove was
fixed in Plasma::Applet.
Second Marco, Alexis and Sebas joined me to fix some applets.

ebn can go, not sure about lancelot, it crashes for me at
start (sent the bt to Yvan) , I think it should be disabled for the beta 1
build (kolour picker is disabled).

I have a list of problems I noticed with a quick run that I'll send to
panel-devel or put on techbase. The problem with those applets/engines is
that they are small code and thus people write them but then they forget
about it and they are not maintained. On the other hand, we won't see soon
such a big API change so maintaining them should be easier once this batch of
problems is fixed.

I agree with Alexis that the NowPlaying engine looks out of place in kdebase,
asking for (optional but still) amarok and juk seems too much.

Will extragear/plasma disappear?

Anne-Marie