breaking BIC for new addon libs in minor releases (was: Re: Goals? How are we doing?)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri May 9 23:20:57 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Tom Albers wrote:
> Op dinsdag 06 mei 2008 18:46 schreef u:

Not for a rarely-used lib like one that kdeutils would provide, IMHO.

> > > No, as long as you make releases from the library, it's is just another
> > > 'external' dependency. As long as it is not a cyclic dependency as we now
> > > face with libkipi, it is not a problem.
> >
> > We misunderstand each other?
> > kdeutils/okteta would depend on extragear/libs/okteta. Now it does not.
> > Think of the packagers. And checkouts of KDE's repository.
>
> No. it is perfectly fine for a kdeutils app to depend on a library. If that happens to live in kde's svn too, that's fine.
> It is up to you to keep the kdeutils app compilable to your latest release of the lib.

I disagree. There's stuff in extragear that needs the "base kde modules" (trunk/KDE/*),
so we shouldn't have the reverse dependency.
trunk/KDE can depend on kdesupport libs, but not on extragear libs - extragear is compiled
*after* trunk/KDE, otherwise we have a cyclic dependency.