breaking BIC for new addon libs in minor releases (was: Re: Goals? How are we doing?)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue May 6 18:46:29 CEST 2008

Am Dienstag, 6. Mai 2008, um 18:39 Uhr, schrieb Tom Albers:
> Op dinsdag 06 mei 2008 18:30 schreef u:
> > > I disagree. I think it is a must to be BC between minor releases.
> > > If you want to be bic && public, go to extragear/libs untill you are
> > > ready...
> >
> > What would this change for 3rd-party developers?
>
> You can make a release whenever you like and bump the major so version of
> the lib as you like in each release.

That would be me, but I asked for 3rd-party developers.
Then, I know I would not make releases independent of the KDE ones, because I
would develop the libs and the program together. So nothing would change for
3rd parties, just another location.

> > For me it would be more work,
> > as I would have development spanned between extragear/libs and kdeutils.
> > And it would add an additional (if only soft) dependency between modules.
>
> No, as long as you make releases from the library, it's is just another
> 'external' dependency. As long as it is not a cyclic dependency as we now
> face with libkipi, it is not a problem.

We misunderstand each other?
kdeutils/okteta would depend on extragear/libs/okteta. Now it does not.
Think of the packagers. And checkouts of KDE's repository.

Friedrich