Non-C++ Apps in KDE Main Modules (Was: Guidance in KDE Admin)

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Sun Mar 30 01:05:31 CET 2008

On 2008-03-30 09:12, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> I read the whole thread today and felt a bit sad. Not because there's
> disagreement on whether we allow python application in KDE main module or
> now. But because both Guidance supporters and critics IMHO seem to have a
> really distorted view on modern computer programming and modern programming
> languages.

The main point is that introducing these kinds of packages intermixed
with core C++ based code pollutes that environment and demands that
packagers and end users MUST install dependencies they may otherwise
not need. Qt/KDE is pure binary code with minimal interpreter dependencies
and I, for one, do not want to have to install perl, python, ruby, mono,
java (yikes! that's 10Mb + 20Mb + 10Mb + 40Mb + 80Mb) and how ever many
other scripting environemnts just to run a basic desktop system.

Especially so if the hardware is minimal which is also an increasing
trend every bit as much as desktop PCs are getting more powerful.

I have no problem if these non-binary scripted apps are in an optional
separate official area but I think it would be a mistake to intermix
them with core C++ libs and binaries.

--markc