Non-C++ Apps in KDE Main Modules (Was: Guidance in KDE Admin)

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 16:43:23 CET 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Andras Mantia wrote:
> PS: I will test this and guidance once my KDE trunk checkout finished
> compiling.

And I failed. printer-applet has some dependencies (python-cups, hal-
cups-utils) that I couldn't find for my distribution (opensuse). This is
already a problem. So I read the k-c-d thread and the README file and it
became clear that the app should be in playground and not kdereview:
- it is not using the KDE libraries, but the Qt ones. Others were
complaining it does not look like the rest of KDE. This also shows the
issue with the bindings, because the reason invoked was a bug in the
bindings (or wrong interaction between PyKDE and python-dbus)
- it uses a different translation method
- it wants to install in /usr/share/..., instead of respecting the KDE
install dir

Guidance is not ported to KDE4 so here there is nothing to test.

My opinion did not change, but more, I believe even more that core apps
need to be C++.
 Those can also be fixed my most of the KDE developers. :)

Andras