Non-C++ Apps in KDE Main Modules (Was: Guidance in KDE Admin)

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Fri Mar 28 11:38:10 CET 2008

I'm a bit confused here. We said prior to KDE 4 that it would be good to have
at least another language app in every KDE module. Personally I'd be glad to
have a Python or Ruby app in kdeedu.

And distros use Guidance or the printing-applet or other Python apps! Do users
complain?

I believe the real debate and issue we (the release team) have to solve right
now is about the printer-applet in kdereview.
I built it, it fits a need (although I'd like it to pop in the systray
immediately when the printer is on and not only when the user prints
something), I like it, I vote for it.
I encourage people from the release team to actually build apps in kdereview
pending to be moved and state their opinions on them!
[As a side note, the Python debate is maybe interesting theorically but having
C++ apps moving to modules without user handbook or tooltips and QWhatsThis
help is certainly a bigger issue.]

Anne-Marie

PS: I'm not a language guru so I cannot assess some issues that were
described. As a user, Guidance or the printing-applet do not behave worse
than anything else, they behave just as fine (I built Guidance when it was in
kdereview for being moved to extragear iirc)