kdesupport branch for 4.0.x

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Tue Mar 25 14:19:11 CET 2008

On 2008-03-25 22:07, Tom Albers wrote:
> > > I think it is the responsibility of the kdesupport library maintainer
> > > to clearly indicate which released version of their library should be
> > > used to compile branch and trunk. So I'm against branching, tagging
> > > or releasing.
> >
> > But then, why do we have kdesupport at all if we should use the released
> > versions only?

> They can say use trunk to compile trunk.  I think it's a matter of communicating, not a technical problem. A simple table on techbase would solve this, I think.

Which leads to a problem of keeping that table uptodate and also
allowing for some method to automatically parse the fields of that
table so manual copy n paste is not needed for folks to complete a
build from trunk. I can imagine this is why kdesupport came into
being in the first place, something that can be reliably fetched
automatically with standard tools.

I was in the process of looking for the right list to ask if exiv2
could be included in kdesupport when I saw this post. Now it's
clear that kdesupport is ephemeral and can not be relied upon from
the KDE repositories and I need to come up with some other method
to fetch all of kdesupport for the long term, not just exiv2.

Just an idle thought, an RSS feed would be easier to parse than
a webpage. A simple CSV file could be parsed by a bash script.

--markc