Policies regarding version numbers of programs and libs

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Jul 19 16:52:32 CEST 2008

Hi,

module kdeutils coordinator here.

Techbase lists [T] as a function of module coordinators to "help with release
preparation (eg. update application version numbers)".

So I am now looking to update the programs and libs version numbers for the
module kde-utils. But I wonder if there is a (inofficial) policy regarding
version numbers (for non-extragear modules)?

My current question is:
When should a version number be changed and how? For every new KDE release,
following the increasing in the version number of KDE, even if the code did
not change at all? I just send an email to kde-utils-devel which argues "Yes"
with the reasoning:
a) Dependencies have changed (kde(pim)libs of same release), new translations
b) bug reports use version number of program and not of the KDE release
c) using KDE_VERSION_STRING and GENERIC_LIB_*VERSION has that effect, too.

How do other modules handle this?

[T] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Release_Team#Coordinator_List

Thanks
Friedrich

--
Okteta - KDE Hex Editor, coming to you with KDE 4.1