4.2 Schedule.

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jul 16 18:31:10 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 17:20:40 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 July 2008 10:33:45 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 July 2008 15:12:07 Allen Winter wrote:
> > > I think we should keep the same schedule from 4.1,
> > > except time-shifted forward 6months, like so:
> > >
> > > Sun 19 Oct: Soft Feature Freeze
> > > Tue 21 Oct: Tag Alpha1
> > > Tue 28 Oct: Release Alpha2
> > > Tue 18 Nov: Message Freeze
> > > Tue 18 Nov: Tag Beta1
> > > Tue 25 Nov: Release Beta1
> > > Tue  9 Dec: Tag Beta2
> > > Tue 16 Dec: Release Beta2
> > > Tue  6 Jan: Tag RC1
> > > Tue 13 Jan: Release RC1
> > > Tue 20 Jan: Tag 4.2
> > > Tue 27 Jan: Release 4.2
> >
> > It does not take into account Toma's proposal of shorter freeze periods,
> > but that can maybe be taken care of as we move to a  more distributed
> > development model ("always summer in trunk").
>
> Personally, I liked the "rhythm" of 4.1.  It felt right to me.
> Of course, I wasn't really developing any new features at all -- simply
> trying to get kdepim into a working state.
>
> Please explain how "always summer in trunk" would work.

Sorry, I was assuming my blog was public knowledge :>

I've written it all down in much detail on http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=815

That's something I'd also like to discuss during Akademy, I understand you
won't be there, so we should make sure we are aware of your thoughts, concerns
and input in general.

> > When do we hard-freeze? (Around beta2 looks sensible to me...)
>
> The hard feature freeze would occur on beta1.
> At least, that's what we did for 4.1.
> I think we need to stop features at the first beta.

Humm. that means 2.5 months of feature freeze. Sounds like a long time to me.

--
sebas