[24h] 6 months release schedule, 4.1 in July

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Thu Jan 17 05:38:29 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 01:14:28AM +0100, Sebastian Kuegler wrote:
> So I went through the recent emails regarding the release schedule. Since the
> discussion has fallen silent, I think pretty much everything has been said.
> My impression from re-reading all those emails is that most people would like
> to adopt a 6 months schedule, and that July would be a good time for 4.1.
>
> I therefore propose to adopt a 6 months release schedule, starting to release
> in July with 4.1, then in January 2009 4.2, and so on.
>
> Now it'd be time for people with *strong* objections to give them, otherwise,
> we should start communicating the new schedule.
>
> If you decide to object, please come up with a counter-proposal as to not
> block KDE from moving on. If the proposal gets accepted, I'm happy to work
> out details, based on the discussion following Matt's proposal and Kevin's
> insights.
> --

I object, actually. Considering the current release schedules of the
various distros, I actually think a release in August or September would
be better for KDE 4.1.

Why? The consensus seemed to be that we wanted to align our release
cycle to be closer to downstream's release cycle. If we want to do that, I
think it should be done sooner rather than later. Releasing in July, IMHO,
doesn't do much to help unless we want distros to ship a x.y.z release where
z is greater than 0. And then if we want the distros to ship a x.y.0
release, then we'd have to push KDE 4.2 closer to 9 months out from KDE
4.1.

I'm in the process of coming up with a schedule with a release in late
August, which should give us enough wiggle room to push it into
September if needed. It should be done in enough time so that it can be
somewhat discussed before Aaron's keynote on Friday. ;)
--
Matt