[Kde-extra-gear] Evaluation of the extragear tarball releases.

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Mon Jan 14 22:12:38 CET 2008

Hi,

Most of what aaron replied is valid, I won't repeat them. But I've some remarks:

> a) Continue to make rolling your own tarball of your Ex-
>     tragear application trivial by offering maintainers
>     the necessary tools in the form of handy scripts.

Yes, that's what i've done with the createtarball script.

> b) Allow Extragear teams to publish and host these re-
>     lease tarballs on ftp.kde.org,

I thought there was a mechanism in place to do that. I will try to find out how that works/still exists and post it here.

> turning their page on
>     http://extragear.kde.org into the authoritative
>     source for the application if they so desire.

What is keeping you from that? Afaik you can request access to the extragear pages if you are working there and make a section for your website. Not sure what's wrong with that.

> If we can get it to the point where an Extragear main-
> tainer who doesn't want to spend significant effort on
> his own infrastructure only needs to run a few simple
> scripts to roll a tarball and publish the release on
> the Extragear pages, we (a) avoid the rollup mess and
> (b) remove the reasons why maintainers want the release
> team to do the work for them.

The rollup is not a mess in any way, we are just figuring out what the best approach is and tune this bit by bit.

We provide the infrastructure for keg-applications (svn/a translation system/ml if needed/etc), rollups should - and are - part of that. You don't have to use it.

Toma