Move kwalletmanager?

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Thu Jan 10 20:30:07 CET 2008

On Thursday 10 January 2008, Allen Winter wrote:
> ark seems core to me

At least in KDE3 we had ioslaves for reading compressed files. I think
that's enough for a basic desktop.

> we already decided that a calculator is part of our core desktop.
> I don't see why not kcalc.

Yes, we decided that KDE needs a calculator. This doesn't mean we need
in kdebase.

> there are other password managers.  there are other volume control
> apps.

Sure, but hey, why not include KMail, GwenView, amarok, etc. in kdebase?
We need to draw a line somewhere. I'm not sure that kmix would with in
kdebase, but I think kwalletmanager does.

> I guess we should step back and try to decide the purpose of
> kdebase/apps vs. kdeutils vs. extragear.

I'd keep in kdebase only apps that define a desktop (like plasma and
some of its applets) and things that are used by other apps. Like
libraries, but in this case we talk about runtime dependency.
If we keep kdeutils or move stuff to extragear is another question.
For this my opinion is to keep kdeutils with those applications and the
reason is because a full desktop needs them.

Andras