Proposed KDE 4.1 Release Schedule

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Wed Jan 9 05:58:02 CET 2008

On Jan 8, 2008, at 4:34 AM, Dirk Mueller wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Matt Rogers wrote:
>
>> Not perfect, but it's a start. Comments?
>
> I miss the following information:
>
> a) Why was July chosen? Was it because it is 4.0 + 6months?  So if
> it is "old
> release + 6months", then we go back to the idea of aligning with
> distributions. Proposing a 6 month cycle, but aligning it to the
> 4.0 date
> which was decided by a release event plan is not a good choice
> imho. Note
> that I do principally like the 6 month cycle.

Kinda arbitrary. It's based on people wanting a 6 month release cycle
combined with where my finger happened to land on the calender when i
closed my eyes and pointed to a month.

> b) 3 weeks between beta1 and RC1 means that we can not squeeze in
> another beta
> without delaying the schedule. What was the intent of that proposal?

To get to the RC cycle faster so that more people actually test things.

> as a rough approximation: we can do release candidates roughly
> weekly. We can
> do beta's roughly every 3-4 weeks.

Why do betas take longer than release candidates? I would think it's
the other way around.

Matt