KDE 4.1 planning

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 7 18:14:04 CET 2008

On Monday 07 January 2008, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Monday 07 January 2008 13:51:27 Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > It is unclear to me how the plasma mes^h^h^hproject is
> > planning to advance.

let's compromise here: i can give the release team all the information it
needs/likes, and in turn the release team can stop being asshats when asking
for said information. "mes^H^Hproject" indeed. seriously, what did you think
you were going to accomplish with that?

> Thanks for bringing it up. Trying to untangle two things here: timeframe
> for 4.1 and the release frequency.
>
> Why do you think April is rather short? (I do agree, although I think
> September is rather late ...). It also depends where we draw
> the "feature-but-not-a-bugfix-line". How about a 4.1 in June?

personally i think july works well; that's 6 months from january, and would
mean a feature free in may. the various reasons i'd personally like to see a
quick turn around for 4.1:

* we have a lot of 90% done stuff, such as the win/mac ports, akonadi,
decibel .. it woul be great to have a quick release that gives those projects
the opportunity to get into the game quickly (obviously this means asking
these groups if six months works for them)

* Qt 4.4 is imminent and so would bring our release cycles a bit more into
coordination

* it communicates the right things to downstreams: it sets a nice pace for our
developers, lets our users know with clear action that we're done with
feature based release schedules, etc.

> - Release 6-monthly, that would align us with downstream (distros)
> - Release 9-monthly, that would align us with upstream (Qt at least, not
> sure about X, and its relevance in this context)

thing is that 4.4 will be out this quarter. if 4.1 was done in ~6 months and
then we go to a 9 month cycle after that, we'll align pretty well with new Qt
versions coming out a few months before KDE versions.

> I'm slightly leaning towards 6 months, hoping that this would give us back
> some traction with 'larger' distros which we seem to be losing lately.

lately? and it's because of a six month release cycle? note that no matter
which 6 month release cycle we pick there will be N-(N-1) distros that we
don't align with perfectly, where N is the number of interesting distros
since pretty well none of them follow the same release timing afaik.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se