KDE/kdelibs/cmake/modules

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Jan 4 14:08:07 CET 2008

On Friday 04 January 2008, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Friday 04 of January 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Yes, it is very unlikely, but very unlikely != impossible.
> > The thing is, the names were in sync with the names of the variables in
> > the FindX11.cmake of cmake cvs since several months.
> > So since several months some cmake cvs users may already use that
> > variable. Ok, it is the cvs version only, but still it is there for quite
> > some time already and changing this can break the build of somebody (you
> > never know what somebody does with the variables). So this change means
> > either we can never use the module from cmake or I need to add some
> > transition logic on the cmake side.
> > So is it really necessary to change the name ?
>
>  I guess that depends on which of changing a rarely used name from cmake
> cvs and having a confusing rarely used name you consider to be worse.

I mean, it was that way since February 23rd, 2006, and you changed it now
after almost two years only hours before tagging 4.0.0 without sending a
patch first.

Although unlikely, this was a source incompatible change.

> > >  It was broken.
> >
> > In which way was it exactly broken ?
>
> Somebody got confused by the names and it didn't match in
> kdebase/workspace/CMakeChecks.cmake.

So the fix would have been to fix that single file.
Now I have to deal with that in CMake and *hope* nobody has used this already
and complains that CMake constantly breaks compatibility :-/

Alex