Fwd: PolicyKit-KDE destiny

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Dec 20 18:22:46 CET 2008

On Friday 19 December 2008 20:21:59 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hmm, actually isn't this more something for workspace? As far as I
> understood the purpose of this is to replace a GTK/Gnome-equivalent if
> running a KDE desktop. Thats exactly what workspace is for.

Rex is right, it's a runtime dependency for "policykit enabled" applications.
It exposes a D-Bus interface you're supposed to call to allow the user to get
credentials. Yes, there's a GTK+ based equivalent which exposes the same
interface since said interface is shared... still, at runtime you expect
*something* to expose this interface.

On another note, it's pretty interesting to see that we're apparently trying
to take an uninformed decision. I mean, it's apparently unclear to most of the
people what it is, and did anyone actually toroughly review it? I admit I
wanted to do it but didn't find the time to make a proper review, otoh after a
couple of tests I gave up trying to make it work (seems I tried it too early
though, got stabilized in the meantime afaik).

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."